Thursday, December 6, 2012
Gorilla Bread Muffins
If you've never heard the term 'Gorilla'bread don't be alarmed. It's like monkey bread but with each bite of delicious warm cinnamon bread you get a cream cheese surprise! I decided one day to make these into "muffins" because I always found it a tad overwhelming tackling a huge gorilla bread cake(especially when you're bringing it to a party and everyone dives in and ends up with hot sticky fingers). So to make this fabled dessert more portable and eatable and yes, slightly less healthy I think that gorilla muffins are the way to go!
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
2 (12-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits (10 count)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
3. In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set aside. Cut the cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. Press the biscuits out with your fingers and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar.
4. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit, wrapping and sealing the dough around the cream cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the nuts into the bottom of the the muffins tins (you can always add more nuts later). Place about two or three biscuit balls in each tin then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
5. Pour about 1 TBS of the melted butter mixture over the biscuits in each tin, and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of nuts. Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
These babies are the ultimate comfort dessert. They're sweet and nutty with a warm and chewy texture and the cream cheese adds an extra layer of creamy richness.